Monday, June 23, 2008

Random Acts Of Kindness .... June 23, 2008

When you're ill and people just show up out of the blue to help or simply drop off something for you to enjoy, it's called a random act of kindness. And believe me when I say it's so greatly appreciated.

On June 14, Trent and I went to the Blue Jays game in Toronto. Trent had never been to the Rogers Centre and so my brother Blaine, his daughter Melanie and son Roman met us in Toronto for an afternoon of baseball and dinner. It was a great day for Trent and I to spend together with his cousins and uncle of which we don't get to see very often. I also enjoyed the day because it was a day I didn't have to think about my illness, except of course for the beer at the game that I had to pass up when Blaine offered to purchase.

So while Trent and I were off enjoying an open Rogers Centre and a Chicago Cub victory, Jennifer was at home alone when she received a telephone call from friends of ours who just happened to enquire as to whether or not I had opened the pool for the season. When Jennifer responded that I had not, the friend suddenly responded to Jennifer's surprise that he'd be right over to help. And before Jennifer could say anything else, the friend was off the phone and on his way. But not only did he arrive alone with his wife but another couple joined them as well. And while the two couples worked around my house cutting grass and opening the pool Jennifer told me she was almost in tears because of this incredible random act of kindness. For these two couples to take a few hours of their precious Saturday after working all week to come and help us out with cutting the grass and opening the pool, it's was just too good to be true. A greatly appreciated act of kindness on their part.

When Trent and I arrived home later that evening after the ball game and a delicious dinner at the Yonge Street Koren Grill, I noticed that the grass had been cut. Jennifer's certainly not one to cut the grass so I knew something was up. Then as I entered the house I heard a strange sound coming from the open dining room patio door which sounded much like a motor running. Sure enough the pool was crystal clear and the pump in operation. I asked Jennifer, what went on here today and she told me.

She also held up a plate of chocolate macaroons of which a former summer student employee of mind had also dropped for me to enjoy. Jennifer and I looked at each other and I nearly cried. (I did actually, but I don't want to say that publicly).

Random acts of kindness are probably the greatest gift of all. I've always thought of myself as a kind person but what these and many others have done for me over the course of my illness now and in 2006 are far beyond what I have ever done to support another person. This type of giving with no expectation of return gives me a better understanding of what kindness really is all about. When I phoned to thank the two couples on Sunday morning personally, each couple said that after they left our house they both felt incredibly thankful to be able help as they did and the whole event made them feel very good inside.

I should also mention that since I've been off work I have received numerous cards from fellow employees, work related associations, friends, the local MPP, and others who are all helping me to stay positive during my treatments. Two of my very best high school friends came over one day and in another random act of kindness helped me to clean out my garage. And I have also received flowers, soup, movies and of course rides to Toronto for my treatments from friends and family who are all playing a vital role in my battle. I suppose, I am the general of this army and all of these random acts of kindness shall serve as my warriors until victory over this disease is complete. Heck, I'm starting to sound like William Wallace.

The point is that I guess it's a good time to thank all of you who have supported me in this fight thus far. To anyone who has felt the burden of cancer you know that when someone shows a random act of kindness, it makes you feel stronger, safer and better. Please keep helping me fight.


***

Appointment number 6 in Toronto was a typical day of blood work, lunch at Druxy's and then the dreaded chemo injection in the arm. The one thing that was very different on this day is the smell of the hospital. I getting sick of it. And I mean literally. I felt nauseated when I stepped into the front foyer of PMH this time and the stench of it was in my throat until we left.

Now I've been in many hospitals, eaten the food like no tomorrow and naturally enjoyed the attention of some of the nurses but the thought of going back to PMH next week is already getting to me. Does anyone have any ideas of how not to think of the smell of the hospital so I won't feel like throwing up. A week off will certainly help but if you have any idea, please let me know.

My nephew Nathan Latchford drove from Beachburg, Ontario (just west of Pembroke, Ontario) on Tuesday, June 17th to take me to Toronto. Nathan is a very good lad who grew up in the city but always worked and played on the Hutchinson farm in Otonabee. And so, after years of 4-H cattle shows, Nathan found himself a fiancee, Jackie, and so has moved away to Beachburg, Ontario to work in the in-law family business as well as continue with his love for cattle on the family farm. His life is different now then when he lived in Peterborough, he told me. "It's much slower up there Uncle Barry and I love it," he said.

I'm happy that Nathan is happy. It's important to be happy in life and I wish him and Jackie all the best in the world. He also asked me to share emcee duties at his wedding next June 2009. I told him that without question I would be there!

Nathan didn't know it at the time and quite frankly neither did I but at that moment Nathan officially joined my army. You see he gave me a reason to keep fighting and living until I can participate in his and Jackie's wonderful event. I can't wait to share in those duties.

Thanks for reading and sharing...

Next Blog - The Longest Day... June 30, 2008

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barry I just read all your blogs for the first time. This has touched my heart and has been theraputic for me. The tears well up, as it reminds me of Peter. As he to was a fighter and a competor like you. Your words are what Peter would of said, but he was a private man, who didnt't share his feelings but I knew in my heart of heart how he felt, the trips to toronto, the unknown, the love for family and friends, the time spent with the kids and me. Jennifer and Trent have a wonderful husband and father in you. As I know you are a great friend. Please keep your head up, and as Peter would say "keep the tractor in neutral" take care your friend cindy cavanagh

Anonymous said...

Barry I have read your story
and reminds me alot of my moms fight, she fought the fight for 3 different rounds with cancer and winning each time. she was very strong. and lost her fight in the 4th round
I miss her very much
we share one other thing
my name is Barry LaRoque pronouced
Barry LaRock
if you ever want to reach out to me i would love to here from you.
my e-mail dynamicdock@msn.com
thanks
Barry LaRoque